Monday, March 3, 2008

Zippers and Laces

Well, it's been awhile since the last post and Justin is currently sleeping on my lap...so it's a good opportunity to catch up.

About a week and a half ago I achieved a key post-partum milestone...I could zipper my pants!!! Granted I can only fit in 2 pairs of pre-pregnancy pants, but it is still very exciting. I also put on sneakers for the first time in months and was amazed at how easily I could bend over to tie my shoes. Yes, I'm definitely finding joy in the little things.

Speaking of little things, my mom caught me talking to Justin in my "baby voice" the other day. This is significant because before he was born I had no desire to hold babies (I thought I would anger the moms for not knowing how to hold them right) or talk baby talk. I just knew I wanted a child of my own and left it to God for my maternal instincts to kick in. I even told my mom I felt silly talking to this baby in my stomach and would sometimes talk to him in my brain like I was talking to God. Then I would realize that he could actually hear me in utero, so I should talk out loud. It just felt so awkward, like I was talking out loud to myself, which made me feel like I was going crazy or something. Now it just seems so natural carrying him and talking about what I'm doing and what's going on around him, even though I know he doesn't understand yet. I guess you're supposed to talk a lot to help them begin to develop a vocabulary. I asked for a book and tape on baby sign language for my birthday so we can better learn what he wants before he can talk back. We'll let you know how that goes!

I mentioned how babies can hear their moms talking in utero. I also realize now how much from the environment he could hear! When I was pregnant with Justin I listened to a lot of jazz music and Jimmy Eat World. When he's fussy, if Bill plays either of these things it really helps to calm him down! Pretty Amazing.

Okay, this is totally off topic, but applies to what Bill wrote in his last post. We've been reflecting on life and death a lot in the past couple weeks especially since we are in the season of Lent. One of the nuns I've become acquainted with at church through a class I'm taking said something very profound just before Justin was born to me that I wanted to share with you all. I've always been uncomfortable with the idea of death, even though I know God has so much in store for us in heaven. But, she told me to think of what it's like for a baby in the womb. They are warm, comfortable, and have all their needs met. Why would they want to leave? Meanwhile, there are people on the other side of the womb, like family and friends, that just can't wait to meet the child, celebrate their birth, and love them. Although they are already alive, not until they are born can they really start living and see their future and purpose. Death is a lot like that. We are content and comfortable in this world and want to stay where we're at. Meanwhile, there are saints who have gone before us and God/Jesus waiting lovingly for us on the other side. Not until we die can they celebrate us joining them in heaven and begin our new after-life that will be even more than we can ever imagine. Of course this doesn't mean we need to rush things! Life is meant to be lived and enjoyed. We just don't need to fear passing into the next life since we have the hope of Christ.

No comments: