Sunday, December 7, 2008

Sleep Update

A couple weeks ago I blogged about Justin's sleep issues. Well, here's where we're at. Justin may cry for half a minute (but usually no longer) when we put him down. The amount of crying is greatly reduced if there is an exciting toy in the crib that he can play with until he wants to sleep. Lately, the favorite toy has been this plastic school bus that makes sounds when you press various buttons. He still won't sleep through the night. Out of his 10.5 months of life, he has only slept through the night for about a month (if I remember correctly). Usually he just wakes up once, but this depends on teething pains, sickness, extra hungriness during growth spurts, etc. After I feed him, he easily goes back to sleep. Getting him to sleep longer in the morning has been MUCH easier due to the fact that it is super dark at 6AM. Maybe I'll get some of those light blocking curtains for the spring. We no longer need to do daily baths (yay!), but he's on a nightly nebulizer (since the doc thinks he has asthma), so that gives him the same calming effect. He's definitely not great sleeping in strange places, but if we bring his space heater that helps a lot. Then we can get things to his comfortable temperature and the white noise is a MUST for this boy. We also had a lot of luck putting him to sleep in his sleep sack, but have started getting away from this, since now he trips on it trying to walk around his crib and bashes his head on the crib walls. Yikes! The warmed, footed pajamas are a nice replacement though. Things are still going relatively well!

1 comment:

Amber said...

The sleep thing is probably pretty normal I think. Except for those freakish people who claim their baby slept through night since they were 2 months old. I swear they must have a different definition of sleeping.

Brendan has settled into a pretty good routine... he goes down about 7:30, then *hopefully* on a good day, sleep through till 5:30, then he cries till we come get him, and then he sleeps with us until about 7:30 (again, if we are lucky. There are often 5:30 AM breakfasts).

Most nights though, there is at least one wake up. David usually handles those, because he can calm him down, and then lay him down and Brendan will go back to sleep. When I try to do it... I think Brendan senses my weakness. I always resort to bringing him back to bed... which is a terrible idea resulting in no sleep for anyone. But he's so cuddly and snuggly, and I really don't really mind. :)